- Scientific name is: Parasteatoda tepidariorum
- Named because they are frequently found in the home, garage, and other indoor locations.
- Average body length of ¼ of an inch with a leg span of two inches
- Pale yellow color
Mannerisms of Long Bodied Cellar Spiders
- Build cob webs on ceilings
- Will shake web quickly with their legs when threatened to appear almost invisible
- Eat mosquitoes, flies, and woodlice.
- Will resort to cannibalism if no other food is available.
- Can break off its own legs if attacked by predators.
- Can also regrow lost limbs.
- Females lay an egg sac containing between twenty and thirty eggs.
- Can bite humans, but their venom has no effect as their fangs cannot pierce human skin.
- Keeping the home clear of other insects will reduce the chances of spiders coming into the home.
- Direct contact insecticides are also an effective spider pest control method.