- Scientific name is: Tapinoma sessile
- Release a rotten coconut odor when crushed
- Often mistaken for Pavement ants until they are crushed
- Are an 1/8 of an inch in length
- Brownish, black color
Mannerisms of Odorous Ants
- Build nests under rocks and debris
- Feed on sweets, honeydew, plant/fruit juices, meat and dairy products.
- Move indoors during heavy rainfall
- Utilize pheromone trails to track food sources and attract colony members to it.
Odorous house ants can be dealt with just as the previously mentioned species, but they can be a bit more of a hassle because of their defense mechanism of stinking when crushed. We at Madison County Termite and Pest Control find it imperative to deal with all invading ant species swiftly before they get out of hand and attempt to conquer the entire indoor space.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!